Senior Technologist, Product Development - Polymers
Posted on: June 4, 2021
INNOVATION & ENGINEERING
Join us in creating, growing, and delivering innovation at pace,
enabling us to thrive while transitioning to a net zero world. All
without compromising our operational risk management.
Working with us, you can do this by:
- deploying our integrated capability and standards in service of
our net zero and safety ambitions
- driving our digital transformation and pioneering new business
- collaborating to deliver competitive customer-focused energy
- originating, scaling and commercialising innovative ideas, and
creating ground-breaking new businesses from them
- protecting us by assuring management of our greatest physical
and digital risks
Because together we are:
- Originators, builders, guardians and disruptors
- Engineers, technologists, scientists and entrepreneurs
- Empathetic, curious, creative and inclusive
Job Family Group
Research & Technology Group
Job Profile Summary
The primary purpose of the role is to support or lead projects
which improve performance and/or efficiency of our polymer based
componentry. To champion investigational analysis and development
of test methods related to qualitative and quantitative
characterization of polymer systems. The new products and methods
are required to meet the changing demands of global markets and to
provide opportunities to differentiate the performance of bp's
products from its competitors.
- To successfully support development of novel polymers that
enable new or improved performance features and/or improved cost of
goods benefits across the product portfolio as compared to previous
BP or competitors' products.
- The role requires the candidate to develop capabilities with
respect to the operation of pilot plant equipment to carry out
dissolution and reaction of defined polymer systems
- Building effective networks with both subject matter experts
and operational staff within the technology function to facilitate
the delivery of projects, these networks include product testing,
deployment, quality, stewardship, intellectual assets, research and
- Providing technical leadership by coaching and directing the
work of less experienced colleagues.
- Develop and share expertise to facilitate continuous
improvement within the Development Team
- Role is required to interact with geographically dispersed and
culturally diverse stakeholder groups.
- The role requires the ability to innovate and solve complex
problems but also the discipline to be able to organise tasks and
deliver to exacting timelines and budgets.
- Practical knowledge in synthetic organic chemistry is
preferred; specifically related to the set-up of reaction systems
necessary to carry out routine organic chemistry experiments.
- A strong background in analytical instrumentation is highly
desirable so that products of fore mentioned experiments can be
analyzed with respect to physical and chemical properties.
- Practical experience in method development and expertise in
analytical techniques such as but not limited to:
- FTIR, LC or GPC, Gas Chromatography, and elemental analysis:
specifically, total nitrogen.
- Ability to work independently and track record in delivering
commercial value through development of novel chemistries.
- Willingness to develop in other areas such as the application
and evaluation of additives in finished engine oils and their
rheology, including physical, viscometric and thermal properties
through standard industry tests.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills and a
collaborative approach to working
- BS Degree or equivalent in Chemistry or related technical
discipline, advanced degree is desirable but not required.
- 5 years relevant work experience is highly desirable.
- Provide evidence of designing novel work programmes
- Demonstrated experience in Lubricants, Additives or
Automotive/Manufacturing industries would be advantageous.
- Good knowledge of automotive, manufacturing and/or systems
Keywords: BP, Wayne , Senior Technologist, Product Development - Polymers, Other , Wayne, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!