Principal Scientist - Product Development
Company: Johnson Matthey
Posted on: June 4, 2021
Johnson Matthey (JM) is a global leader in science that enables
a cleaner and healthier world. With over 200 years of sustained
commitment to innovation and technological breakthroughs, we
improve the function, performance and safety of our customers
products. Our science has a global impact in areas such as low
emission transport, pharmaceuticals, chemical processing and making
the most efficient use of the planets natural resources. Today more
than 14,000 Johnson Matthey professionals collaborate with our
network of customers and partners to make a real difference to the
world around us.
Principal Scientists are recognized technical experts in their
field. They will identify future needs and opportunities and lead
development teams through New Production Introduction (NPI) IDEA
and EVALUATE phases. They will deliver improved products, formulas,
process and systems to Applications Teams.
- Reporting to the Product Development Manager, lead Idea and
Evaluate phase product development programs that align with the
strategy and objectives of the Global Product Development
- Build strong working relationships with the other Clean Air
Development Hubs, JMTC, other Clean Air functions, Clean Air
customers/suppliers, and technical teams in other Sectors of
- Lead Idea and Evaluate Phase NPI teams.
- Lead meetings with key technical staff at automotive customers
and/or suppliers when appropriate.
- Represents the department during audits (EH&S, QMS, EMS,
- Defines a strong safety culture.
- Be recognized as a technical expert by the development teams
and by customer technical staff. Educate members of the
organization in catalyst and material technology.
- Support the definition of product strategy to meet Clean Air
business plans. Working knowledge of the emissions control
regulations that drive our business and provide technical solutions
to meet future market requirements.
- Define and execute technical strategy to meet Clean Air product
- Design, sponsor and/or conduct experiments to develop new
catalysts, materials or exhaust emission control systems and ensure
experiments are designed and conducted in a resource-effective
- Define and specify IP from technical programs which should be
- Support development and execution of Clean Air IP
- Maintain knowledge in field of expertise through regular patent
and literature reviews and attendance of appropriate
- Interact with key technical staff at automotive customers
and/or suppliers when appropriate.
- Ensure that team processes, procedures and documentation are
following the requirements of the Quality Management Systems
(ISO/IATF16949) and Environmental Management Systems (ISO14001)
prescribed to by the site.
- Lead and develop team projects of up to five scientists and
chemists, ensuring growth in their technical and non-technical
skills and experience. As appropriate, provide regular and
comprehensive performance feedback for team members including
progress against agreed upon performance objectives, development
objectives and competencies required for their role. As
appropriate, ensure that reviews are completed on time and at
specified intervals and that an appropriate degree of
accountability is always maintained.
- Support the identification and recruitment of new scientific
- Support a strong/diverse team through effective hiring,
training, coaching, supervision and development of team
- Educate members of the organization in catalyst and material
Are you the ideal candidate?
- PhD in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or related Science; or a
Bachelors degree and minimum of 10 years of related experience
- Strong heterogeneous catalysis background
- Strong knowledge of material science, inorganic compounds
- Hands on experience on catalyst preparation, gas/solid phase
catalytic reaction testing, and characterization
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated capability to manage teams to execute complex
- Demonstrated capability to interact with people of widely
varied disciplines, both technical and non-technical desirable
Keywords: Johnson Matthey, Wayne , Principal Scientist - Product Development, Other , Wayne, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!