Anticipated Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
Company: Wayne NJ Public Schools
Posted on: June 6, 2021
TITLE: Teacher of the Hearing Impaired
NJ Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Certificate
Knowledge of assistive listening devices and technology specific
to the needs of the hearing impaired
The teacher of the hearing impaired is directly responsible to
the building principal and reports to the Director of Student
To assist and support students with hearing impairment meet with
academic, social and emotional success in academic and other school
- Ensure that New Jersey Administrative Code citations 6A:14-1
(f) 2.5 (6) and 3.7 (c) specific to the D/HH students are
- Develop IEP goals and objectives for the hearing impaired
- Oversee proper implementation of IEP goals and objectives as
appropriate for students with hearing impairment.
- Provide in-service to staff and students to ensure proper use
and care of assistive listening devices (ALD) including but not
limited to: personal FM systems, classroom sound-field systems,
desktop FM systems, hearing aids, cochlear implants.
- Provide in-service to staff regarding strategies for working
with students with hearing impairment.
- Order, maintain, and inventory assistive technology equipment
for the hearing impaired.
- Communicate with audiologists to ensure proper us of assistive
- Maintain lesson plans and daily log.
- Collaborate with school nurses regarding hearing equipment
utilization and maintenance.
- Consult with staff and parents as needed.
- Attend, contribute, and participate in Individualized Education
Program planning and meetings.
- Observe and monitor progress of students with hearing
impairment in out of district programs.
- Provide sign language interpreting when necessary (maintain
Education Interpreter Certification requirements if
- Maintain knowledge of and instruct students with hearing
impairment in their primary mode of communications including but
not limited to American Sign Language, Pidgin Signed English,
Signed Exact English, Cued Speech or Oral/Aural Communication.
- Facilitate student self-advocacy skills, development of social
skills, and communication skills appropriate to daily living.
- Teach student with hearing impairment the basics of hearing
loss, the function of the ear, and its parts to provide students
with an understanding of their own hearing loss and needs.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as needed and
assigned by the Director of Student Support Services.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Salary and work year to be determined by the Board of
Performance of this position will be evaluated annually in
accordance with New Jersey State law and the provisions of the
Board's policy on the evaluation of certified staff, which includes
specified performance standards in the evaluation model approved by
the Board of Education.
Approved: 12/19/13 Item # H-14-11
Keywords: Wayne NJ Public Schools, Wayne , Anticipated Teacher of the Hearing Impaired, Other , Wayne, New Jersey
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!